March 30, 2023

The Riders, Days 4 and 5

 My apologies, I neglected to post last week! Last Wednesday, March 22nd, was day 4 on this copy. This is how it looked at the end of the day last week. I didn't take a close-up photo of it, not sure why. I remember I left early, so I was probably feeling tired that day.

Yesterday was a much more productive day. I arrived before the doors opened (thank you, VRE, whose last train is at 8:15 and gets me to town almost an hour early.) The museum was extremely crowded with school groups and I attracted lots of people who stood and watched me paint. I managed to get a lot done, even with frequent breaks to chat with visitors, who are always so kind and boost my ego and spirits. The guard was great and literally had my back, reminding visitors to stay back and give me room.

I worked on the horses and the land around them. I glazed over the too-bright grass and worked on where the horses' hooves meet the ground, so they wouldn't look like they're floating. I think I'm almost finished with this copy. Not that it's a perfect copy - I see many mistakes, including the space between the horses. But as I've said before, I'm copying, not "making a copy". It's not possible to get everything correct (at least for me) and still keep the feeling of loose and scribbly that I love about this painting.

This is how it looked when I went to lunch:


After lunch, I continued glazing and putting the darker marks in the foreground. Here is how the painting looked at the end of the day. I thought of turning in my permit, but I think I'll work on it for one more day, making more corrections, before I say I'm finished with it.



I'm already trying to figure out what my next copy will be...





No comments: