March 15, 2023

The Riders, Day 3

I got off to a late start this morning, and I took a different Metro line, to see what it was like. I think it took about twice as long as the one I usually take! But the station was a little closer to home and it was easier to park. Still, I'd rather have a shorter ride on the train, so I won't be doing that again. 

So it was late morning by the time I got started on my copy. The museum was really crowded! So many people all around me that I couldn't even step back to get a good look at my painting. I was surprised, since the last two Wednesdays it was pretty quiet. Somebody said they thought it was Spring Break, which would explain the crowds.

I concentrated on the horses and riders today. Those horses' legs are really confusing! Degas let the bodies of the horses run together, and sometimes the legs that I thought belonged to one horse actually belonged to another. Also, one of the horses (the very left forefront one) is very unclear as to which direction its body is facing. Sometimes I think it's one way, and sometimes another. I painted for two hours, had lunch for an hour, and then painted for another hour and a half. Suddenly I had just had enough. I was so desperate to get away from the crowds that I forgot to take a photo of my painting on the easel, so I photographed it in the Copyists' locker room, which has garish fluorescent lighting. I also photographed it out in the hallway, which has very little lighting. I'll post both here.


click the pictures for a larger view

I'm looking forward to returning fresh next Wednesday, hopefully earlier than today. 

No comments: