February 27, 2015

White Poodle, day 11!

Oh my goodness, it seems the more I do, the more I see that I have to do... 

Just plugged away at the fur today, but I can't say that I've improved it any. Hopefully, one of these days it will come together!


Today I tried something different - I put my easel on the right, instead of the left! I don't know why I hadn't done this before (see earlier posts). When the easel was on the left, I was turning my head to the right in order to look at the original, and my painting was also in a dark spot. Today, I positioned the easel on the right, and Voila! I was in a more natural, comfortable position where I didn't even have to turn my head to look at the painting, and also, my painting had much more light on it. I was also standing closer, so I could see the details better. Why did it take me eleven visits to figure this out?


I plugged away on the fur, trying very hard to restrain myself and paint each tuft of fur individually. I soon realized that I'd been trying to get these little details with too big of a brush (I think I was using a size "2" filbert - so I switched to the smallest brush I had with me, a size "0" sable round. Made a huge difference! I whittled away at the tail a bit, and will build it back up again next week.


I'm still not very happy, but will I ever be? I keep adjusting the color of the undercoat. Several people gave me their opinions. I listen to everybody and take it all into consideration. I stopped when I realized I was just too tired to think straight anymore.

(click the images for a larger view)

2 comments:

Lorraine K. said...

Amy,

I love what you've done! The fur is gorgeous. It feels like you could almost touch it. Lorraine

Amy Mann said...

Thank you, Lorraine! It's getting there...