February 20, 2015

White poodle, day 10

And here I was, thinking I was almost done! As I was walking toward the gallery with my painting in hand, I stopped to chat with an employee of the Museum. He admired my painting, and then remarked that it was "a good start!" I decided to work on it longer...

I was having trouble with the fur. The tufts of fur on my dog were just dabs, as I mentioned last week, whereas Stubbs actually painted each individual tuft. Also, his undercoat varied in color throughout. I took a hard look and decided I just had to paint over all those clumsy dabs, and try again.

Here is a photo a visitor took of me this morning, before I painted over the fur:


After lunch, I worked on the detail in the trees, and then decided to just paint over the fur with the undercoat color. Next week, when it's dry, I will put the tufts of fur back on, hopefully with a more nuanced stroke. Wish me luck!


...at the end of the day today


you can see where I've painted over much of the white fur


...a detail of George Stubbs' masterful fur (sorry, the photo is a little blurry)

click on the images for a larger view


No comments: