December 9, 2014

White Poodle, day 4

Another dark and rainy day, but somehow my easel was positioned differently and my painting had more light on it. Today I worked on the fur!


I was kind of scared to start painting the fur. I've never tried to paint fur before. I brought a new color, Naples Yellow, which I had at home but which I never use. It is made from lead, and is very rich and creamy. I don't know if Stubbs used it (because I haven't bothered to research it,) but I bet he did. It seemed to match the color better.

I will probably paint all the fur again next week, because my squiggles are bigger and farther apart than his squiggles, but at least I got a start on it. I also see an adjustment I have to make in the dog's face. And I'll need to tackle the boat, and finish up the trees, and repaint the sky and cloud. I'm hoping just a few more weeks on this one.

(click the images for a larger view)



1 comment:

Lorraine K. said...

HI Amy,

Cold, dark days but your poodle brightens everything up! Lorraine