April 8, 2014

Stick a fork in it! (it's done!) Lackawanna Valley, Day 7

Well, today was my last day to work on this painting. I could definitely have worked on it longer (some copyists work on copies for MONTHS), but I have a rather short attention span, don't love tiny details, and really don't care about getting an exact copy. It felt done enough to me, so I put in some finishing touches and called it done.

Here is how it looked when I broke for lunch:

I worked on the roundhouse, making it a bit smaller and correcting the shape, and I worked on the trees on the right. I also moved the buildings and smokestack above those trees.


After lunch, I worked more on the fences, tree stumps, and foreground, and I put in some tiny details (cows) in the middle ground pasture. I also painted in all the smoke and the tiny covered wagon and people on the road. I worked right up to the last minute I was allowed to paint today (4:00), and felt good about declaring this one done. (I don't know why the color is so different in these two photos, but I think the second one may be more accurate.)

I'm going to request an early Monet for my next copy - an outdoor figure painting of his friend Bazille and his wife Camille. Stay tuned!



2 comments:

Lorraine K. said...

Gorgeous, Amy! Any chance the museum would consider an exhibit of copyists' works? Lorraine

Amy Mann said...

Thank you, Lorraine! Interesting question - I feel quite sure the Gallery would not have an exhibit of copyists' work, but I put the question to the Registrar just to see what she would say about that. Maybe we copyists could put a show together at another venue (I don't think our work merits space on the walls of the National Gallery!) :-)