November 25, 2013

Breton Girls, day 5 (final)


Today I wrapped this copy up. I worked on the girls' faces (including the one on the left that the lady last week told me Not to Touch), and also spent time on the big house (I moved the right-hand chimney to the right). There was much more I could have done, mainly in the realm of teeny-tiny brush strokes, but I just don't care that much about that. I'm mainly interested in getting the drawing, composition, and color correct. I'm enough of a perfectionist to be unhappy with certain areas where the drawing doesn't match the original, but not too much of a perfectionist that I can't abandon it when I get tired of it.

Now I'm thinking of my next copy. When I went in today, I was seriously thinking of taking a long hiatus, or stopping copying completely. It's just such a big effort to make the trip in every Monday... but I had a pretty good day, and I decided to keep on going. I have three possible paintings that I'm going to ask permission to copy, and I'll start a new copy in two weeks.

2 comments:

Lorraine K. said...

It's wonderful and special Amy. Please don't stop! We just need some warmer, sunnier days to make the trek less challenging but your results are worth it! Glad you changed your mind. Happy Thanksgiving. Lorraine

Amy Mann said...

Thank you, Lorraine! I've decided to take a break from copying until February. Stay tuned!