May 20, 2013

It's coming along! Day 3, Cézanne's "The Peppermint Bottle"

I made it down there today by noon (I know, a late start again!), but I ate lunch before I started painting, thinking that I would paint for four hours straight. I made it until three, but then I totally ran out of steam. But I got quite a bit accomplished, I think.


(click on the images for a larger view)

The cutest thing that happened today was a class of teenage girls who all sat cross-legged on the floor behind me and quietly watched me paint for about 15 minutes. I told them they were such polite museum-goers!

Next Monday is Memorial Day, so it will be two weeks before I can work on this again. I'm thinking one more day ought to do it, two at the most. I'm already scouting around the museum for my next copy!

6 comments:

Taryn Day said...

This looks great, Amy! I love Cezanne, and this is one of my favorite paintings of his. You are getting the painting down very fast!

Amy Mann said...

Thanks, Taryn! Yes, it is working out, although of course I see little problems with the drawing. Hopefully next time I'll be able to keep getting closer.

Lorraine K. said...

Hi Amy,

Your artwork is simply wonderful! I'm so glad to have learned about your blog. What an honor to be part of the National Gallery of Art's "copying" program -- to do your art in such beautiful surroundings, amongst the greatest artists in the world! Lorraine

Amy Mann said...

Yes, Lorraine, copying there is great! I hope to go back on Monday.

Maria Bennett Hock said...

Love this! What a great opportunity. Love seeing your progress..can't wait to see what you decide to paint next.

Amy Mann said...

I am taking the rest of the summer off from copying - I hope to be back in the museum in September!