November 16, 2023

Day Two, copy after "Narragansett Bay, 1864" by William Stanley Haseltine

Today was kind of a short day - I arrived late (a bus cancellation and train problems) and left early. But I feel like I got a lot done! I tackled the water and painted that wave, and I corrected some of the drawing of the rocks. I put in the far shoreline. I did not repaint the sky yet. I started to correct the color of the dark areas of the rocks until I ran out of steam. In two weeks (no copying on Thanksgiving) I will put in the tiny people and the distant boats, finish correcting the rock colors, and repaint the sky.

A few interesting things happened today. A man told me he had just been to the place where this was painted last week. A woman told me that her father-in-law had given this painting to the National Gallery. And the guard in my gallery did a spot-on impression of Barak Obama. Never a dull moment!

Here is how it looks now:



Click on the images for a larger view


No comments: