September 9, 2014

Cézanne, day 2

Missed a week, but got back to the Gallery for the second day on my copy of "Still LIfe with Apples and Peaches" by Paul Cézanne. It was a good day. I realize that this painting will require some time if I want it to look like his. I've read that Cézanne painted and repainted many times, and it shows - many layers of paint, some wet into wet, some painted over dry paint. I tend to be a one-shot kind of painter, but paintings really look so much more interesting when you can see some of the struggle that went into making them. (Some struggle, but not too much!) :-)

My copy so far is much, much simpler than his, of course - it looks kind of like a paint-by-numbers at this point. But I will keep going back into each part until it looks better. Also, as I'm breaking up the larger shapes of the cloth into the smaller shapes of the design of the fabric, I'm finding the errors in my drawing - the smaller shapes are not quite fitting... but this is perfectionism, and I'm going to try my best to not care too much about it. This is my first pass at getting the colors and shapes right.


a detail of Cézanne...

...and a detail of mine (I did a little more after I took this picture)


at the end of today
(click on the images for a larger view)

No comments: