September 4, 2007

Why do I copy?

Many visitors ask me why I copy at the museum. The best answer is "Because they let me!" This free program is too valuable to pass up, and it's a privilege that I want to take advantage of. Also, it is a priceless opportunity to study works of art in person, and at length. When I visit a museum to look at paintings, I spend maybe five minutes at the most in front of a particular work. I also see so many works in a single visit that none of them makes a very big impression on me.

However, when I copy a painting, I am immersed in that particular work of art for many weeks or months. I study it minutely, and am able to get up close and scrutinize the artist's brush strokes. I am able to see which strokes were put on first, and which came later. This kind of insight is not apparent when you see a reproduction in a book.

I also feel a connection to the artist. When I copied Monet's "The Japanese Footbridge", I had an almost eerie feeling that Monet, wherever he is, was somehow aware that I was studying his painting. I know this is silly, but that's how it felt as I stood there studying and copying his brush strokes. I got lost in making the marks, and just felt connected to him somehow. Monet is just about my favorite painter, and I love studying him and his work.

I can remember seeing copyists at the National Gallery when I visited there as a child. I used to think that I would NEVER want to be in that position, of being on display trying to make a copy of a great master's painting! I thought it would be embarrassing, and the public would criticize my efforts. But in reality, copying is nothing like that. Visitors to the museum are as nice as can be, and never criticize my copy. The biggest problem I have is having my concentration interrupted constantly, as visitors want to ask me questions. But that is just part of the copying experience, and I am used to it. I am used to painting in public from working outdoors in "plein air" at crowded parks and other tourist sites, so I'm pretty good at screening distractions out.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a great way to see into this part of your life, thanks for setting it up! I got a good understanding of "copying" which somehow seems a little too simple a term. It's interesting how you can go to a place of history, or see an object associated with a well-known person, and feel connected even if they lived long ago - and actually painting the same strokes (if you go to that level of detail) or the image in general must give an even stronger feeling of connection.

Also interesting to contrast copying to, say, taking a digital picture and printing - see "appropriate technology", just because you can get a job done easier doesn't mean it is the most appropriate way!

I wonder how copying a painting compares to "copying" reality, and what is the experience of copying a landscape and then traveling to that place to paint it again?

K Stevenson said...

I believe copying is a good way to revive both a common interest in art, and individual excellence and integrity in one's own art.

It seems to me that copying makes up the majority of artistic training throughout history. Only in the most recent century or so was the idea of breaking with studio conventions and apprenticeships and going straight to one's own visual experience as a teacher. The world of appearances is not a very audible teacher, or very clear-cut. Telling one to paint what he sees is sort of like telling him to drink from a river--highly, or arbitrarily, selective and unsystematic.

The difference between copying a picture and copying from reality is that it is narrower. One is copying an appearance, but also an interpretation and an opinion. But that is beside the point of learning picture-making, which nature cannot teach.

In the old four stages of art instruction in Japan, one was copying and one was proportioning. The student would learn to copy brushworks--simple ones, to gain confidence by being able to reproduce them spontaneously from memory--but then,the student would copy pictures on a different scale (i.e., smaller or larger) to get a feel for proportioning.

The Impressionist legacy leaves us to face nature unclad with aesthetic canons and ways of the craft. But our task is now different. Vermeer as well as Monet wanted to put down with paint exactly the color that he saw. But Monet, out of the 19th century, had the impulse of the time to break with convention--as did Seurat, Matisse, Van Gogh, etc. In copying the outdoor color of leaves, he wanted to, or allowed himself to, disregard the conventions of drawing the shapes of leaves, and just put down the impression of the colored light. Whereas today we have no solid conventions to break out of, so a reconstruction of the craft, via copying from the great pictures, and even from the works seen first-hand (rather than reproductions) is salutary.

Susan said...

Your description of the feeling you get of being somehow attached to Monet is fascinating. You shouldn't discount it as not being real.

Susan said...

Your description of the feeling you get of being somehow attached to Monet is fascinating. You shouldn't discount it as not being real.

Susan said...

Your description of the feeling you get of being somehow attached to Monet is fascinating. You shouldn't discount it as not being real.